Thursday, March 28, 2013

Marrakech

Day 3 in Marrakech, and I'm only finding time to update my blog now. C'est bon signe!

I'm now sitting in an Internet café, eating the dried fruit and nuts I bought on the main square, listening to the snake charmers outside.

I'm truly loving Marrakech. The moment I set foot in the city, I fell in love. Les gens -en général- sont super gentils et serviables, la ville est belle, il fait beau, il fait chaud, c'est merveilleux. And I'm actually enjoying this solo traveling thing. At first, I had a few apprehensions, but it quickly became clear that there was no reason to be nervous. So far, I've met lots of really nice people to have dinner with, and I feel really comfortable walking alone during the day.
Je pense que le fait que je parle Français me sert bien. Je n'ai qu'a dire "Non, choukran" (non merci) et on me laisse aller avec le sourire. J'ai aussi appris un mot bien utile: Saffit, une contraction de non merci. Et ça marche, on me laisse tranquille!

Walking with Americans, I've found the reactions are different: when they hear us speaking English, the vendors are more agressive, even slightly insulting at times. I haven't been insulted once when speaking French. Au contraire, everyone is super polite, and the only thing the men say to me is that I'm pretty, which, you have to admit, isn't very offensive.

There's so much to say already, but I don't want to stay too long, because there's still so much to see and do, and I'm leaving for Casa tomorrow morning. A few highlights:

The colours. Oh, the colours. And the smells. Spices, perfumes, meats, incense, exhaust...

Despite what I've read, it's pretty easy to get oriented in the souks, as long as you know where the Place Jema El-Fna is. And that's easy, there are signs everywhere.
Je semble avoir un bon sens de l'orientation et un bon sens de la ville. Je me retrouve tout le temps, a force de marcher, meme dans les petites ruelles. Par contre, dès que j'essaye de suivre la carte, je me perds.

Une photo vaut mille mots, voici quelques milliers de mots:


Bon appétit!

Food for zombies


Porte vers la Kasba



Du bon jus d'orange, fraîchement pressé!

Les touristes dans la Medersa (ancienne école coranique)





Place Djema El-Fna

3 comments:

  1. Salut Gazelle, tu as l'air de te régaler ;) Saffi c'est plutôt "ça suffit" je crois :) pfff ça fait envie tes pérégrinations ici le temps est glacial ! Enjoy bisous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pour se régaler, elle se régale, la gazelle! :-)
      T'as vu? J'ai pas tardé pour le jus d'orange. Deux fois plutôt qu'une même.
      Et tu as raison, c'est bien ça suffit. Petit coquille que je corrigerai la prochaine fois que j'aurai accès à un ordi.

      Delete
  2. Super! On a hâte de te voir!De ta maman chérie.

    ReplyDelete